Career & Accomplishments
Digital Product Owner and Marketer — Innovative Strategist and Thinker — Bridging the Divide Between Marketing and Tech
Welcome to my Careers and Accomplishments page! I am an accomplished digital product owner and marketing strategist with a wealth of experience delivering high-quality Web and mobile applications. I’ve also uniquely demonstrated the ability to bridge the digital language divide between Marketing, Leadership, and Information Technology.
OK, it’s a little more sophisticated than that, but you get the idea…
Over the course of nineteen years as a professional, I’ve cultivated and honed a lot of business-driving and transformative skills that can apply to an array of industries and organizations and bring forth real, tangible, positive change. Some of the highlights include:
- Product Ownership
- Project Management
- Strategic Thinking
- Business Process Improvement
- Business Analysis
- Digital Marketing Strategy
- Competitive and User Research
- Customer Journeys, Personas, Personalization
- Social Media
- Copywriting and Editing
- Web Content Management
- Communications and Public Speaking
I am so thankful for all of the great, smart, and friendly colleagues I’ve had over the years. There’s nothing I love more than being a part of a close-knit team and working together to accomplish great things. Here are a few personal highlights, spanning the course of the last two decades.
- Redesigned online proprietary retirement planning tool, to better drive positive user actions and cross-promote company products.
- Spearheaded new, modern, responsive redesign of 401(k) and main corporate websites.
- Delivered brand-new mobile 401(k) app for iOS and Android, with transactional capabilities and advice tool. Over 100,000 unique downloads in six months.
- Developed primary UX and web strategy for 401(k) advice and portfolio management service, earned over $1 billion AUM.
- Adept at both agile and waterfall methodologies.
- Wrote complete, new, SEO-optimized navigation and information architecture for Retirement section of corporate website, transamerica.com (300+ pages), to increase retail leads and drive positive customer actions.
- Routinely refreshed pre-login news and education content on 401(k) web portal, coordinating updates to coincide with internal participant communications marketing campaign calendar.
- Served as the primary author and editor of Web content for aaaa.org, (over 1,000 pages), ensuring that text and presentation met association goals and was consistent with advertising and marketing best practices.
- Wrote and edited taxpayer assistance content for nyc.gov/finance (500+ pages). Content and IA were still in use ten years later.
- Served on interdepartmental innovation committee. Routinely traveled to company offices across the country to meet with different business areas to discuss their processes and pain points. Worked to find quick and efficient solutions to problems using an outside, out-of-the-box perspective.
- Integrated SMS text messaging into participant communications to facilitate IRA and in-plan rollovers. Pilot program increased AUM by $1mm.
- Proposed roboadvisor holistic insurance and savings app using AI and tag management.
- Added gamification to participant site, including new “Compare Me” feature and revamped participant account enrollment path. Increased savings rates by 1% per paycheck during account setup process.
- Managed the Transamerica Retirement Solutions Facebook page, organically increasing following by 150% over one year.
- Proposed detailed campaign management program utilizing tag management (Tealium), to track customer behavior and serve targeted content on both the web and via social media.
- Built the 4A’s social media accounts from scratch, on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, LinkedIn, and more. Organically grew each account to thousands of followers.
- Authored MBA Thesis, Assessing Consumer Sentiments Towards a “Green” Marketing Campaign Using Twitter.
- Routinely traveled across the country, meeting with in-the-field retirement advisor staff, to communicate upcoming digital initiatives and answer questions.
- Hosted webinars on Introduction to Social Media for Associations, Introduction to Facebook for Associations, and Introduction to Twitter for Associations, with College of Association Marketing.
- Facilitated daylong social media workshops for American Society of Association Executives.
- Lectured on how 4A’s successfully integrated CRM and CMS to build a top-notch public website to nonprofit marketing/IT community.
I’ve been blessed to have worked in a wide range of industries and business types, from government (elected and civil service) to nonprofit to corporate financial services. Industry expertise can always be learned; it’s the digital and marketing skill sets that take time to be nurtured and cultivated properly, and which can apply anywhere.
Director, Digital Marketing, Web & Mobile Strategy, October 2014–February 2017
Digital Marketing Strategist, Web & Mobile Strategy, March 2014–October 2014
New Media Specialist, Participant Communications, August 2012–March 2014
- Served as product owner on 401(k) participant website and mobile app. Developed and executed digital strategy based on collaboration with senior leadership, key stakeholders, users, and by assessing competitors and industry/digital trends.
- Developed and executed complete digital marketing campaigns, including e-mail, landing pages, social media, Web banners, SEM/SEO, splash and interstitial ads, press releases, targeted Web content, etc.
- Wrote and edited content for Web pages, with an eye towards SEO and legal compliance.
- Wrote test scripts and performed user-acceptance testing, to ensure project met strategic and usability goals.
- Communicated upcoming releases and new features of 401(k) site and app to internal staff, including marketing, sales, participant communications, call center, client executives, new plan integration, and onsite/field reps and advisors, often involving public speaking and presentations.
AMERICAN ASSOCIATION OF ADVERTISING AGENCIES (4A’s)
Web Editor, January 2007–August 2012
- Spearheaded the complete overhaul of the association’s flagship website, including a new information architecture and taxonomy, and moved the site from a legacy CMS to Microsoft SharePoint 2007.
- Created the organization’s social media presences on Twitter, Facebook, Flickr, LinkedIn, CrowdVine, Google+ and WordPress, promoting content and linking goals to a larger editorial and marketing strategy for the company.
- Coordinated digital marketing for multiple annual conferences, including setting up and updating microsites, video and photo editing, social media postings, e-mail marketing, and more, to drive registration and engagement.
- Scheduled, recorded, edited, and distributed agency thought leadership webinars and podcasts.
- Supervised the work of the association’s ASP Web developer and managed the time and budgets of several key e-services vendors.
CITY OF NEW YORK DEPARTMENT OF FINANCE
Webmaster, January 2005–January 2007
Web Content Manager, July 2000–January 2005
Intergovernmental Liaison/Assistant to the Commissioner, July 1999–2000
- Managed the redeployment of the agency’s website from static HTML to Interwoven TeamSite CMS.
- Routed or responded to taxpayer inquiries submitted via the Web.
- Developed micro database search applications, including tax forms search and Treasury funds lookup, using Adobe ColdFusion.
- Supervised the work of additional ColdFusion developer and content manager.
- Wrote corporate style guide and protocols for all agency communications.
ST. JOHN’S UNIVERSITY – TOBIN COLLEGE OF BUSINESS
MBA (Marketing), May 2012. Graduated with honors.
STATE UNIVERSITY OF NEW YORK – UNIVERSITY AT ALBANY – COLLEGE OF ARTS & SCIENCES
BA (History), May 1999.